Cancer Exercise Specialist® Advanced Qualification
The Cancer Exercise Specialist® Advanced Qualification was developed for health and fitness professionals seeking to attain a higher level of mastery and work with cancer patients during and after cancer surgery and treatment and into survivorship. Participants will gain a complete understanding of the entire cancer process from diagnosis and treatment to reconstruction and survivorship. Our unique and individualized programming will help to improve the patient’s ability to cope with the mental and physical stress following cancer diagnosis and treatment.
The comprehensive programming covers 26 types of cancer, as well as pediatrics, with special emphasis on breast cancer and breast reconstruction. We provide two methods for obtaining your Advanced Qualification: home study and live workshops. The Cancer Exercise Training Institute has trained more health and fitness professionals worldwide to become Cancer Exercise Specialists™ than any other organization.
The coursework is founded on collaboration with the chiefs of breast surgery at Georgetown, George Washington, and Johns’ Hopkins University Hospital Medical Centers, and developed by Andrea Leonard, 35-year cancer survivor, PFP 2019 Personal Trainer of the Year, author of “Essential Exercises for Breast Cancer Survivors,” ACE Certified Personal Trainer, NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist and Performance Enhancement Specialist, and President/Founder of the Cancer Exercise Training Institute.
Coursework research began in 1995 and is now in the 12th edition with updated research added annually.
The work of the Cancer Exercise Training Institute, Andrea Leonard and collaborating medical experts has truly been pioneering in the field of cancer and exercise and has paved the way for many other organizations to follow.
How does the Cancer Exercise Specialist™ Advanced Qualification Workshops and home study differ from other available cancer exercise training programs?
* We are the ONLY organization that emphasizes INDIVIDUALIZED programming. No two cancer patients are the same and their exercise program should be as individual as they are
* Invaluable training and experience in assessment protocol, including goniometry to measure joint ROM, postural assessments and girth measurements to monitor for lymphedema.
* Ability to ask questions and have them answered in person, through email, phone, and blog.
* Workshop/Webinar attendees receive 2-days of specialized training along with the Four-module Cancer Exercise Specialist Handbook
* Home study participants will gain access to four online handbooks and four online video modules. Hard-copy handbooks may be ordered for an additional charge.
Open-book online examination to be taken at home within 90 days of the workshop/webinar or within 180 days of purchase of home study. We believe that the open-book nature of this examination simulates real life situations more closely than anxiety ridden, proctored, examination hall examinations.
* We offer professional development and continuing education as well as a video library for CETI Cancer Exercise Specialists exclusively.
Get an in-depth look at the most common surgical procedures for 26 of the most common cancer types, as well as pediatrics. Experience a video-based session, as well as a comprehensive manual, on the subject matter. Gain a deeper insight into acute and chronic side-effects and contraindications of surgical procedures, cancer staging, genetics, and the human biome/immune system. Experience a video-introduction and welcome from Dr. Jay Harness and a video by Dr. La Gary Carter on “Exercise as Medicine” as well as a comprehensive manual and practice test on the subject matter.
• Cancer Staging
• The Immune System and human biome
• Surgical Incisions
• Acute and Chronic Side-effects
Learn about risk factors for breast cancer, recommended surgeries, treatment, and reconstruction as well as side-effects/complications, and lymphedema prevention and management. Experience video-based sessions by Denise Stewart, OT, on scar tissue awareness, Upper and lower extremity lymph drainage exercise programming by Andrea Leonard, and Cancer and Comorbidities by Dr. Dan Mikeska, as well as a comprehensive manual and practice test on the subject matter.
• Types of Breast Cancer
• Risk Factors
• Breast Surgery and Reconstruction
• Cancer Treatment
• Neurological Complications
Learn how to conduct a postural assessment, goniometric measurements, and several other testing methods and understand the balance of agonists and antagonists in order to sequentially determine individualized programming based on range of motion limitations, correcting postural deviations, and acute and chronic side-effects. Learn how to use manual stretching techniques to help with muscle imbalances and range of motion limitations and strengthen the core while working on proprioception and balance with the BOSU® Balance Trainer. Experience video-based sessions on assessment protocol with Andrea Leonard, as well as a comprehensive manual and practice test on the subject matter.
• Posture, Pain and Muscle Imbalance
• Conducting a Comprehensive Assessment
• Correcting Muscle Imbalances and Exercise Programming
• Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Exercise Intensity
• Common Side-effects, Complications, and Recommendations
• How to Use a Goniometer/Correcting Range of Motion Limitations and Exercise Programming
• Core and Balance Exercises
• Manual Stretching Techniques
Gain critical knowledge about how a properly prescribed and executed exercise program can help cancer patients and survivors to combat fatigue, decrease depression and pain, and how diet can play a critical role in treatment as well as long-term survivorship. Included in this section is “Conquering Cancer with Nutrition,” by Dr. Glenn B. Gero. Experience an in-depth, video discussion between Andrea Leonard – President and Founder of the Cancer Exercise Training Institute and Dr. Tami De La Melena, as well as a comprehensive manual and practice test on the subject matter.
• Benefits of Exercise
• Cancer Related Pain
• Mental and Physical Fatigue
• Psychology of Fitness
• Cancer Treatment and Weight management
• Alcohol and Cancer Risk
• Conquering Cancer with Nutrition
• Taking Control of Your Emotions
• Working with Medical Community
Following your video-based sessions and power point presentations, there will be a 125-question exam. Home-study participants will have 180 days to complete the coursework in its entirety.
Live workshop attendees will participate in a two-day comprehensive training that includes lecture, hands-on assessment training, exercise prescription, and case-studies. There will be a 125-question exam to be completed online within 90 days of the workshop.
CETI’s coursework is intended for ALL fitness professionals; yoga, Pilates, Barre, ZUMBA, and group exercise instructors as well as personal trainers and exercise physiologists. You will learn how to modify and adapt your protocol to meet the needs of cancer patients during and after treatment.
This course is approved for the following CECs/CEUs:
Yoga Alliance 22 (noncontact hours)
New* CanFit Pro 4.0 NSFA 22
- Start the Home Study course materials for “Cancer Exercise Specialist®” for $149 today (4 monthly payments of $149).
- Click “Enroll Now” to create your student profile and then start the 4 monthly payments.
To help you obtain CEU’s from other organizations, please download forms below: